Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 28 October 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 318148
OS Grid Reference: ST8279086280
OS Grid Coordinates: 382790, 186280
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5751, -2.2497
SOPWORTH CHURCH LANE
ST 88 NW
2/151 Church of St Mary
Anglican Parish Church. Probable C13 origin, C15 alterations and
additions, extensively restored in 1871 by T.H. Wyatt. Squared and
dressed stone to tower and some sections of nave, chancel and north
aisle, coursed rubble to remainder; stone slate roofs with ashlar
copings, ashlar dressings to window surrounds. Nave, chancel, west
tower, north aisle including transept and vestry, south porch.
Nave south side has 1 single-light and one 3-light C13 style C19
window with trefoil-cusped heads and square-headed dripstones.
Chancel has 2 similar C19 windows and C13 style east window with
face stops to hoodmould. North aisle has 1 single-light and one 2-
light Perpendicular style window and a similar 3-light C19 window
to east end. C15 tower of 2 stages with moulded string courses and
embattled parapet with corner pinnacles; 3-light Perpendicular
window to west face and 2-light bell openings with pierced
quatrefoil patterning; sundial on south face. Gabled C19 south
porch with pointed-headed south doorway: plank door.
Interior. Nave has coved ribbed vault and multi-chamfered late
C13-early C14 chancel arch. C19 open rafter roof with arched
trusses to chancel, C19 open rafter roof to aisle. Fittings. Nave
has circular C13 font with trefoil arches on stem shafts with shaft
rings and C19 cover; C19 pulpit with reset Jacobean panels; 1805
brass candelabra and sconces; 1844 benefactions board under tower
and c1873 three-light stained glass window representing the 3
Maries by Morris & Co. on the south wall. Chancel has Hardwicke
wall monument and Italian marble reredos of c1875.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST8279086280
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.