Description: Harris and Unidentified Monument in the Chuirchyard, 1 to 3 Metrees South West of Porch, Church of S
Date Listed: 3 December 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 318152
OS Grid Reference: ST8278686269
OS Grid Coordinates: 382786, 186269
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5750, -2.2498
SOPWORTH CHURCH LANE
ST 88 NW
Harris and unidentified monument in
the churchyard, 1-3m south-west of
porch, Church of St Mary
Two chest tombs. Late C18. Limestone. Harris monument at lm.
Earliest date 1780. South side has floral drops to angle pilasters
and 2 inscription panels framed by Rococo cartouches with winged
putti in the spandrels and elegant Roman and italic lettering.
North side has lozenge panels with eroded lettering. Moulded
plinth, cornice and cyma recta moulded slab. Unidentified monument
at 3m. End panels in single blocks to simulate balusters; south
side has panel with shallow relief chalices framed by willow
branches and eroded lettering. Moulded plinth, cyma recta moulded
slab. Tomb collapsing at time of resurvey (May 1986).
Listing NGR: ST8278686269
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.