Description: Old Manor House
Date Listed: 28 October 1959
English Heritage Building ID: 318166
OS Grid Reference: ST8270186174
OS Grid Coordinates: 382701, 186174
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5742, -2.2510
SOPWORTH THE STREET,
ST 88 NW (west side)
Old Manor House (formerly listed
as House south of George Inn)
Detached house. Circa 1700 with c1840 alterations and additions.
Colourwashed render with rusticated stone quoins, ashlar dressings
and gabled roof with slate to the south-east and stone slate to the
north-west; end rendered stacks. Two-storey, 5-bay south-east
front. All windows are flat section ovolo-moulded cross mullions
with small pane casements. Central doorway with panelled jambs and
bolection architrave, flat hood on carved brackets and 4-raised-
and-fielded panel door with 4 top glazed lights. Moulded plinth
course, first floor continuous string course and coved cornice.
Rear reveals 1840 additions encasing original staircase tower.
Interior. Inaccessible, but reputed to have original staircase
and panelling in ground floor rooms.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST8270186174
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.