Description: Parish Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 26 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 318256
OS Grid Reference: SU1463895966
OS Grid Coordinates: 414638, 195966
Latitude/Longitude: 51.6623, -1.7898
There is also a scheduled monument, Cross in the Churchyard of St Mary, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
5410 CASTLE EATON THE STREET
(north side) )
Parish Church of
SU 1495 19/107 26.1.55
Mostly C13 and Butterfield. (Restoration 1861-3, principally to roof). Rubble
with stone tile roof. Two stage crenellated west tower. Four bay nave with
gabled C15 south porch. Three bay late C13 chancel. Odd corbelled belfry over
crossing with spire and weathervane. Nave has an early C14 window and 2 restored
geometric-type windows. Chancel windows plain with slight cusping. Projecting
gabled vestry to north-east (1860s) with small 2-light cellar or damp proof
windows and reticulated window to the east. Porch has diagonal buttresses and
a niche over, south door late Roman with 2 slightly carved caps to nook shafts,
chevron and roll label with pellets and dragon head stops. Tower C15 with high
stepped and twice moulded plinth and diagonal outer buttresses. Two light
belfry windows, foiled with square heads and drips. Pointed west door with
Perpendicular period window above.
North side has catslide roof and plain Norman arched north door.
Inside porch is a large effigy slab of a knight - probably mid C14 for brass.
Interior: north arcade removed and replaced by timber posts, wall painting of
Virgin on east chamfered respond. Good Jacobean pulpit incorporating part of
a C15 screen.
A number of memorials -in tower chamber, the best to Walter Parker, died 1664 -
a swagged oval with 2 putti supporting arms. Numerous C18 and C19 tombstones
in graveyard to south, several with carved angel heads, 2 chest tombs of early
C19 and one moulded unscrolled top of a baletomb (to south of the church).
Listing NGR: SU1464195976
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.