Description: Parish Church of St Andrew
Date Listed: 26 January 1955
English Heritage Building ID: 318566
OS Grid Reference: SU2077282568
OS Grid Coordinates: 420772, 182568
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5416, -1.7019
5410 WANBOROUGH CHURCH ROAD
Parish Church of
SU 2082 25/482 26.1.55
Large parish church largely recast in early C14. Built of rubble with stone
tile roofs and moulded plinths and cornices. Four bay aisled nave with north
and south porches (former a C15 addition). No clerestorey. Extra bay (for
short 'transept' internally). Very unusual tall eastern spirelet in sanctus
bell position. large C15 or C16 2 bay chancel. Three stage crenellated west
tower, also C15. Two light square headed windows with cusped ogee tracery.
Restored perpendicular east window of 3 lights. Somerset tracery in west
tower. North door pointed early C14 with carved trailing naturalistic decoration
up the jambs. Gabled south porch with flanking pinnacles with crocketted
finials. Small north door in chancel. The tower has a canopied niche above
main west window.
Interior: quadrilobe piers and pointed arcades; crossing below spire (which
is open from below) and narrow 'transept'. Traces of wall painting to left
of north door (entry into Jerusalem). Tower stair door has stilted relieving
arch. St Catherine's chapel to north-east has an early C14 ogee headed piscina
in south wall and scallopped drain. Fine C16 pedimented tablet over with
dense inscription; flanking corbels, the left hand one has fragment of possibly
early C14 carving. Plain tub font.
South porch contains 2 carved gisants, of man and wife who could be C13.
Well stocked graveyard with numerous C18 and early C19 headstones and chest
tombs particularly to south and south-east.
Listing NGR: SU2076282564
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.