Description: The Old Mill and Attached Stable
Date Listed: 20 September 1979
English Heritage Building ID: 318637
OS Grid Reference: SU1448380849
OS Grid Coordinates: 414483, 180849
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5264, -1.7926
SU 1480 23/557 PERRY'S LANE
Mill House and
shall be separated into two entries with amended descriptions to read
SU 1480 PERRY'S LANE
The Old Mill
23/557 and attached stable
Former mill house, now house, attached to Mill House (qv) dated J S (possibly
John Seymour) 1771. Red brick Flemish bond, back wall has flared headers as
diaper pattern, concrete roof tiles. Large two storeys and attic, irregular 3-
window front; ground floor left has circular opening over position of tail-race,
then small opening with plank door for overflow. To right two 3-light casements.
At first floor one 2-light and two 3 light casements; 2 hipped 2-light dormers.
Return left has one 2-light casement and a blocked opening. All these to stone
splayed lintels over-running the openings. Off centre right plank door under
cantilevered gabled hood; 3 stone steps approach. Back has three 2-light casements
with lintels as front, at first floor level; ground floor has two modified open-
ings and formerly arched entry for overshot wheel. Gable brick stacks; half-hip
to left. Interior has 5 bay heavy Queen posts off main floor beams, and principals
tied back to posts from plate level c lm above upper floor. 4 heavy transverse
floor beams at each level. One pulley wheel at ridge. In wall adjoining Mill
House a date stone I.L (possibly John Little) 1685: this probably refers to the
adjoining property. In a ground floor fireplace a fireback in cast iron dated
1588 (?), with two naive trees, and two anchors with rope coits, in 3 panels
surrounded by and separated by cable mould: this said to have been brought from
elsewhere. To left is brick and tile stable block with loft opening over 9 pane
casement and door; connected to main building by one-storey link. Some chalk
block within. At back of mill remains of stone wall to leat.
5410 WROUGHTON PERRY'S LANE
Mill House and
SU 1480 23/557
Once called Kings Mill. Main part dated "J.S.1771". Red brick 2 1/2 storeys.
Tiled roof, gable end chimneys. Three ranges of windows with ashlar lintels;
the 2 right hand ranges have 3 light casements; to left on first floor a 2-light
window and on ground floor a porthole replacing mill-wheel arch. Door off-centre
right, excess water door left of centre. Two hipped dormers.
Interior, converted. Corn bins and pulley for chute system in attic.
Adjacent to left is a stable block. To right is a mid C19 2 storey 3 bay
tiled wing: casement windows, outer 3 light; cogged eaves cornice, central
door with gabled porch.
Listing NGR: SU1447080841
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.