Description: Cambria Baptist Chapel
Date Listed: 23 April 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 318683
OS Grid Reference: SU1440784364
OS Grid Coordinates: 414407, 184364
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5580, -1.7936
SU 18 SW SWINDON
3/23 Cambria Baptist Chapel
Baptist chapel, 1866. Snecked rock-faced limestone with Bath
ashlar dressings. Slate-hung brickwork to west side, English bond
brickwork with stone dressings to east and rear. C20 interlocking
tile roof. Rear hall extensions. North entrance elevation with
central pair 2-panelled doors within painted pilasters and keyed
archivolt. Thin pediment over. Stone plinth and end pilaster
buttresses. Round-headed 2-pane sash windows either side.
Elevation characteristically Welsh. Each side 3 round-headed cast
iron paned windows within hollow-chamfered reveals.
Internally simple west gallery on 2 slender cast iron columns.
Raised dias with turned balustrade and acorn headed newels.
Boarded flat ceiling. Hall and additions not of special interest.
The chapel is the focal point of Cambria Place, built for the Welsh
community of ironworkers moving to Swindon.
Listing NGR: SU1440784364
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.