Description: Christ Church
Date Listed: 2 October 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 318719
OS Grid Reference: SU1574483897
OS Grid Coordinates: 415744, 183897
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5537, -1.7743
SU 1583 NE SWINDON
8/60 Christ Church
Anglican parish church, 1851, by George Gilbert Scott. Rock-faced
sandstone with Bath ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Nave with
aisles, transepts, chancel and west tower. Side organ chamber and
Lady chapel to chancel. Lobbies to sides of tower, and south porch
of 1916. Early Decorated style. 2-light aisle windows with
quatrefoil heads, 4-light transept windows and 5-light chancel
east window, all Geometric tracery with slight cusping. Tower of 3
stages, with west gabled porch and corner buttresses. 2-light
belfry openings within 2 deep-chamfered orders. Broach spire with
lucarnes at bottom, quatrefoils above clock of 1843. Lady chapel,
1935 by Harold Brakspear with canopied figure of The Good Shepherd.
Interior: 3 bays arcade on octagonal columns, nave and aisles
extended into transepts and western bay with little break. 8
clerestory windows. 4-bay roof of crown posts and arch braces to
stained rafters and boarding. Rood beam. Chancel raised by 2
steps, 3 bays and one arch to side chambers. Capitals with semi-
naturalistic leaves. Encaustic tiles. Chancel was refurbished
1883. Font: West end of aisle, alabaster, square with octagonal
corners on columns, 1905. Reredos 1896, marble and alabaster with
panels of the Expulsion from Eden and the Annunciation. Organ,
Gray and Davison of London. Pulpit, 1906, marble and alabaster,
octagonal on columned base. 4 figures, and marble balustrade.
Lectern: Brass eagle of 1881. Much glass of 1855 - 60 and of
period 1891-1902 and in west window of north transept, view through
hollyhocks of The Lawn, Goddard and Christ Church Oxford arms,
1931, by M. Travers. Marble war memorial of Great War victims by
font. Many of the fittings were donations of the Goddard family.
(Original plan in NMR 1942/274).
Listing NGR: SU1575583902
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.