Description: 4-34, Faringdon Road
Date Listed: 17 February 1970
English Heritage Building ID: 318759
OS Grid Reference: SU1470384789
OS Grid Coordinates: 414703, 184789
Latitude/Longitude: 51.5618, -1.7893
SWINDON FARINGDON ROAD
SU 1484 NE
Nos 4-34 (even Nos)
Terrace of 16 cottages, 1841-53 for GWR. Coursed squared rubble.
Ashlar door and window surrounds, coursed rubble rear walls.
Slate roofs with brick stacks on party walls. Each dwelling
2-storey 1-bay with through side passage, 2 rooms deep. C20
brick lean-to to rear. Low chamfered plinth. C20 15-pane glazed
doors with chamfered surrounds and splayed stops. 4-pane sashes
in chamfered surrounds. No 34 retains original glazing: 12-pane
sashes with margin lights and beaded plank door. This is now the
'Railway Village Museum' and is maintained as a typical railway-
man's house of c.1900. Interior layout modified c.1890 by the
replacement of the rear washhouse and WC with scullery and a new
Listing NGR: SU1467284770
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.