Description: Council House
Date Listed: 28 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 318865
OS Grid Reference: SU1473630355
OS Grid Coordinates: 414736, 130355
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0723, -1.7910
There is also a scheduled monument with a similar name, City rampart E of Council House, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This is probably the same structure or related to it in some way.
(Formerly Wyndham House)
SU 1430 SE 2/236 28.2.52.
(On site of St Edmund's College). The site and remains of St Edmund's College
founded by Bishop de la Wyle, was bought by the Wyndham family in 1660 and
the south front of the present house, rebuilt about 1670, with alterations
in early C18 and in 1788. South front of 2 storeys. Red brick on stone plinth
with projecting band at ground floor cill level. Bracketed stone cornice
and blocking course, and brick parapet over with stone piers between bays,
stone coping crowned with stone balls over the piers. A long front of 7 bays
with narrow flanking wings each of 1 bay. 7 windows on lst floor and 6 on
ground floor, all with rusticated stone architrave surrounds with voussoir
heads and moulded cills on curved brackets. The side wings are full height
each with a 3-centred arched lst floor window and oval panel above, with a
rectangular ground floor window. The inner faces of the wings have circular
niches with moulded stone surrounds and carved scroll brackets supporting
base at foot. Central 6 Panel double door (C18) with radiating fanlight in
rusticated bonded stone arch, under a late C18 well proportioned stone Doric
porch with blocks of triple (engaged) columns supporting entablature with
triglyph frieze and pediment. The 1788 east front Cl8 has 2 3-storey angular
bays, full height, flanking central part with 2 windows on lst floor and very
large 3-light window on ground floor recessed in 4-centred arch. The lights
have architrave surrounds and are divided by panelled pilasters and flat carved
brackets (Acanthus ornament) supporting fluted frieze and cornice broken forward
over bracket. Panel over with delicate urn ornament, no glazing bars. Additional
end bays of 2 windows. The west front has a large sham Gothic window C18/C19.
The north elevation is stuccoed with parapet and string below that is possibly
C16. There is a stone mullioned and transomed window on this front. The
interior has had alterationsbut retains 2 C16 plaster ceilings. The entrance
hall is in the position of a mediaeval hall and has fluted Doric pilasters.
Council room with screen of Ionic columns. Staircase with single iron balusters
and continuous moulded handrail.
Listing NGR: SU1473630355
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.