Description: The Post Office
Date Listed: 12 October 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 318922
OS Grid Reference: SU1440430157
OS Grid Coordinates: 414404, 130157
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0706, -1.7958
The Post Office
SU 1430 SW 1/415
Corner site with Chipper Lane qv. 1907 by W T Oldrieve. Large ashlar faced
building in restrained Cotswold Tudor style, crisp detailing. 2 storeys and
semi-attic. Plinth. Moulded strings in part to second floor and carried
across with step up to first floor, returned on same level to Chipper Lane
front. Steep pitch gable end slate roofs. Tall stone chimney stacks chanelled
(rather Voysey). Small lead domed bell cot on ridge. Gable ends with saddlestones.
Stone gabled dormers breaking through eaves. Slightly a symmetrical fenestration,
stone mullioned and transomed leaded casements, taller on ground floor and
wider towards corner on Castle Street front. Main doorway has 4 centred arch
with carved spandrels, 3 lights set over. Similar but smaller secondary entrance
Large ground floor windows to Chipper Lane, double transomed with moulded
ledges over. Later extension to this front in rather French C17 style, ashlar
faced, 6 bays, heavy cornice, pedimented dormers, 2 storeys and attic.
Listing NGR: SU1440430157
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.