Description: 12, the Close
Date Listed: 28 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 318973
OS Grid Reference: SU1451129629
OS Grid Coordinates: 414511, 129629
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0658, -1.7943
SU 1429 NE 4/50 28.2.52.
The Hall of the Vicars' Choral was presumably built on this site from the
earliest time of the Cathedral's foundation. Parts of the building probably
contain works of C13/C14 and C15. The present building externally would appear
to be C16-C17 and altered later. 2 storey and attic. Stuccoed gabled front
with C19 bargeboards and old tile roof. 4-light attic casement. Angular 1st
floor bay window with panelled apron and moulded cornice. 1 window 4 panes
wide on ground floor under bay. 6 panel (flush type) door with architrave
surround and small flat moulded hood, to right hand. Long range (the Hall)
at back with roof swept down to ground floor ceiling level. 2 3 light hipped
dormers. Portion tile hung with gable to south.
Internally in entrance passage a large 6 light wooden window with cusped lights,
probably reset, late C15 and C16. Tall stone entrance arch into screens passage.
To the left 3 low pointed arches into kitchen and offices. Other stone door
surrounds. In drawing room a fine C15 fireplace with quatrefoil panels, the
brackets and jambs partly renewed. Reset C17 panelling Part of roof structure
survive others encased. 2 trusses and windbraces between purlins, principals,
bracket and wall post. Attic has some timber partitions, some curved windbraces
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1451329622
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.