Description: 18, the Close
Date Listed: 28 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 318986
OS Grid Reference: SU1447729668
OS Grid Coordinates: 414477, 129668
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0662, -1.7948
SU 1429 NW 3/43 28.2.52.
Originally Common Hall of the Vicars Choral, early canonical house (bequeathed
1319-20) of which these are some remains. The front part of house recased
and heightened in the early C19. 3 storeys, stucco faced. Flat eaves to
hipped slate roof. Unsymnmetrical front with projecting L H wing. Entrance
below road level. 2 windows to upper floors. 1 window on ground floor and
6-panel door at R H with panelled reveals and doorcase of Doric pilasters
simplified entablature and moulded pediment. The R H part has 1 window 3
panes wide on second floor and 4 panes wide first and ground floors. All
windows have drip moulds. To rear early ruing 2 storeys tile hung with gable
end old tile roof, restored, mostly C16/Cl7 but the west wall has section
of original material, flint stone, rubble and diagonally set tiles. The wing
has some exposed beams 2 bays of roof structure with intact windbraces and
purlins, one collar.
All the listed buildings in The Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1447629669
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.