Date Listed: 28 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 319045
OS Grid Reference: SU1411629644
OS Grid Coordinates: 414116, 129644
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0660, -1.7999
No 59 (Arundells)
SU 1429 NW 3/12 28.2.52.
Originally a canonical house largely rebuilt in late Cl7 by Sir Richard Mompesson.
Rain water head dated 1699, Set well back from the West Walk. East front:
2 storeys and attic. Ashlar stone with first floor string and plinth. Hipped
old tile roof with moulded and bracketed wood cornice. 2 hipped dormers with
small sashes. Symmetrical fenestration. 5 windows first floor, 4 on ground
floor, sashes, glazing bars restored in moulded frames. Central door of 6
fielded panels with stone architrave surround and moulded stone pediment on
console brackets. Similar 4 bay south front. The west front shows part of
earlier structure with gabled section with flintwork and hipped roof to wing.
Cl4 cusped headed 2 light window on first floor. Interior has full height
C18 panelling to drawing room. Early C18 stair with closed string, turned
balusters, square section panelled capped newels. Service stair with reset
C17 panelling as dado. The rear hipped roof wing has 2 trusses and wall posts.
All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.
Listing NGR: SU1411629644
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.