Description: De Vaux Lodge
Date Listed: 28 February 1952
English Heritage Building ID: 319088
OS Grid Reference: SU1433329187
OS Grid Coordinates: 414333, 129187
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0618, -1.7968
DE VAUX PLACE
No 9 (De Vaux Lodge)
SU 1429 SW 5/358 28.2.52.
No 9 was originally part of the College de Valle founded by Bishop Giles Bridport
in 1261 as a theological college which continued there until the Dissolution.
Mid C18 rebuilding as separate house. 2 storeys red brick with projecting
moulded plinth and fill height flanking Doric brick pilasters. Moulded brick
triglyph frieze and stone cornice broken forward over pilasters, plain parapet.
Symmetrical fenestration. 3 windows. lst floor, 2 on ground floor with segmenta
heads, sashes glazing bars intact, all with keystones. Shaped brick aprons
to Ist floor windows. Central door of 6 fielded panels in projecting brick
surround of Doric pilasters and cornice, Modern 2 storey brick extension
to right hand, 1928, very few internal early features. Reset C17/Cl8 panelling
from 47 Winchester Street qv.
No 9 forms an important group with Nos 6 & 8 St Nicholas's Road.
Listing NGR: SU1436129232
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.