Description: General Infirmary
Date Listed: 12 October 1972
English Heritage Building ID: 319141
OS Grid Reference: SU1413429958
OS Grid Coordinates: 414134, 129958
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0688, -1.7996
SU 1429 NW 3/468
Main centre block 1767-71 by John Wood of Bath. Very much enlarged 1845 and
1869 and modern extensions. Original centre block 4 storeys red brick. Stone
frieze with inscription: "General Infirmary supported by voluntary Contribution
1767". Stone cornice, originally with crenellation above. 7 windows, recessed
sashes, glazing bars intact 2nd floor and ground floor, some on 1st floor.
Low broad centred doorway with engaged Doric columns, broken entablature and
open moulded pediment, stone. Wings of 1845 and 1869 with half octagon bays,
hipped slate roofs. South front retains crenellated parapet, also of 7 windows,
most of glazing altered. Interior retains one ward in original state and
chapel with fine reredos consisting of 2 tablets of Laws in frame of engaged
fluted Composite columns, moulded entablature and pediment with modillions
and dentil and egg and dart mouldings. Guilded spray in tympanum.
Listing NGR: SU1413429958
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.