Description: The Riding School
Date Listed: 4 August 1951
English Heritage Building ID: 319351
OS Grid Reference: SU0990431066
OS Grid Coordinates: 409904, 131066
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0788, -1.8600
5409 WILTON PARK
The Riding School
SU 0931 5/1A 4.8.51.
Circa 1755. Now known to have been designed by the French architect Vallin
de la Mothc (the VD of previous attributions), although the executed building
departs considerably from his designs - possibly as result of revisions
by the young 10th Earl of Pembroke in the mid C18. Altered before 1800
by James Wyatt. Red brick with slate roof over basement. 6 principal glazing
bar windows with brick flat arches (3 retaining circa 1755 glazing bars).
South front designed as principal front but now altered. Gault brick with
high parapet over moulded cornice and stone coping with 4 ball finials and
central ramped panel with vase. Slight central double break, pedimented;
each break ashlar with raised quoins. Central round-arched entrance, lower
part blocked circa 1800 leaving tripartite glazing bar sash. Flanking
circa 1800 windows, glazing bar sashes with shaped 1755 aprons over and
carved shell panels below. Carved horse's head keystone to main entrance.
Linked to main house by circa 1814 wing, single storey ashlar over basement,
with crenellated parapet. North end has large double garage doors and projecting
Interior retains spectators' gallery, fronted with Chinese fretwork and
boards inscribed with verses about the mythical origins of horse-mastership.
Listing NGR: SU0990431066
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.