Description: The Manor
Date Listed: 23 March 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 319451
OS Grid Reference: SU1236526046
OS Grid Coordinates: 412365, 126046
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0336, -1.8250
SU 12 NW COOMBE BISSETT HOMINGTON VILLAGE
4/71 The Manor
(formerly listed as Homington
Detached house. Late C16 refaced c.1700 and rear wing added c.
1730, 1930s service wing to rear left. C18 Flemish bond to front
and timber-framing to rear of C16 range, 1730s wing in header bond,-
tiled roof with brick stacks. L-plan, with C20 additions forming a
'U' shape. 2-storey and attic, 4-window front. Planked door in
weatherboarded gabled porch to right of centre. To right is one 2-
light casement, to left is tripartite sash and 2-light casement,
all with segmental-arched heads. First floor has two 2-light
casements and two single casements, 2-brick plat band. Attic has
three hipped dormers of C20. Right return is chalk and brick with
tile-hung gable, two 2-light casements to ground floor three 2-
light casements to first floor and one 2-light casement to attic.
Left return is garden front of C18 wing, 2-storey, 5-window.
Ground floor to left has one 12-pane sash, blocked central door and
C20 half-glazed door, first floor has 3-brick string course with
bullnose bricks to lowest course, three sashes. Coved eaves
cornice. All sashes with thick glazing bars and flat arches with
keystones. Right part of left return is C16 range with two 12-pane
sashes to ground floor and two 2-light casements to first and
attic floors. Rear has C20 single-storey extension to left,
central part of C16 range has timber-framed first floor with one 2-
light casement and C20 lean-to to ground floor, C18 wing to right
has 2-span roof with external stack, with French windows and sashes
to first floor, attached is C20 conservatory.
Interior: 4-bay timber-framed C16 range has chamfered beams with
concave stops, former central open fireplace now removed, west
fireplace with cambered lintel and chamfered stone jambs, planked
doors with 'L' or butterfly hinges. 1730s wing has doors with
fielded panels, ground floor drawing room has fine plaster ceiling
with rococo centre-piece, very similar to one in Mompesson House
Salisbury, and fielded panelling above moulded dado rail, stairs to
first floor of wing with moulded dado and cornice. In C17 and C18
probably owned by Wyndham family who may have added west wingc.
1730. (Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).
Listing NGR: SU1236526046
This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.