Description: Church of Holy Trinity
Date Listed: 28 March 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 319471
OS Grid Reference: SU2245527251
OS Grid Coordinates: 422455, 127251
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0442, -1.6811
SU 22 NW GRIMSTEAD EAST GRIMSTEAD
6/91 Church of Holy Trinity
Anglican church, 1857 by F.H. Pownall. Knapped flint with ashlar
dressings, roof has alternate plain and fish-scale tiles with coped
verges and cross finials. Geometric-style. Nave with bellcote,
chancel, north vestry and south porch. Heavily detailed timber
porch on stone plinth, pointed door has marble columns and hood
mould with foliated terminals. South side nave has 1-light and 2-
light cusped lancets, continuous moulded string course. Chancel
has cusped lancets and diagonal buttresses to east end, 3-light
east window is geometric-style with hood mould with foliated
terminals. North vestry has 2 chamfered pointed windows to east
wall, and shouldered-arched door to north with Decorated circular
window on right. North side nave has 3 cusped lancets. West end
has pointed window with 2-light plate tracery and hood mould with
terminals, diagonal buttresses.
Interior: Brick interior walls with bands and decorative patterns
in vitrified brick. Nave has scissor roof with no bay divisions.
Pretty arcade to vestry from chancel has slender marble shafts.
All original fittings including pews, pulpit, font and choir
stalls. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975.)
Listing NGR: SU2245527251
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.