Description: Mill House and Attached Mill
Date Listed: 28 March 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 319486
OS Grid Reference: SU1646132938
OS Grid Coordinates: 416461, 132938
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0955, -1.7663
SU 13 SE LAVERSTOCK FORD
2/106 Mill House and attached mill
House with attached mill over River Bourne. 1783 on datestone on
south gable of house, mill is C19 addition. Brick and flint bands
to house and English bond-brick mill, Welsh slate roof with brick
stacks. 2-storey, 2-window front to house. Central planked door
with C19 slated canopy, either side is one 2-light wooden casement
with segmental-arched head. First floor has two 2-light casements
with square heads. Mill to left has planked door to right on both
floors and two 2-light casements to ground and first floors.
Right return has one small casement to attic. Rear has casements
as front and brick lean-to sheds, and two segmental brick arches
Interior of house has stone floor and chamfered ceiling beams.
Mill building contains disused complete machinery for milling flour
with water power, in situ. Consists of water wheel minus paddles
and sluice gates in River Bourne. Ground floor has shaft
connecting cogwheels to water wheel and shaft through ceiling to
first floor machinery; two millstones connected to cogwheels. On
attic floor are wooden hoppers for corn and chutes to first floor
millstones. All wooden and cast-iron parts in excellent condition
at time of survey (September 1984).
Listing NGR: SU1646132938
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.