Description: Church of St Catherine
Date Listed: 9 March 1973
English Heritage Building ID: 319498
OS Grid Reference: SU1080629803
OS Grid Coordinates: 410806, 129803
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0675, -1.8471
SU 12 NW NETHERHAMPTON NETHERHAMPTON VILLAGE
4/173 Church of St. Catherine
Anglican parish church. C18 tower, church rebuilt 1876-7 by
William Butterfield. Limestone and flint chequers and tiled roof
with coped verges, tower is Flemish bond brick with shingled roof.
Consists of nave, south aisle, chancel, south vestry, west tower
and north porch. Decorated style. Stone gabled north porch has
pierced barge boards and timber-framed door surround. North side
nave has continuous moulded string course and two 2-light windows
with fine reticulated tracery and drip moulds, buttress to left.
North side chancel has two 2-light windows with reticulated tracery
and hood moulds. East window is 3-light with reticulated tracery
and hood mould. East end of south aisle has pair of trefoiled
lancets. South aisle has pointed door to right with hoodmould;
with scrolled terminals, to left is pair of cusped lancets under
one hoodmould and two pairs of trefoiled lancets. West end of
aisle has one quatrefoil. Rectangular stair turret on south side
of tower has one square-headed light. All windows have diamond
leading. 4 -stage C18 west tower is brick with ashlar quoins and
some earlier limestone masonry in plinth, angle butresses. One 2-
light geometric-traceried window to 2nd stage with drip mould,
trefoiled lancet to 3rd stage, bell stage is oak shingled with two
pairs of trefoiled lancets in wood. Pyramidal oak-shingled roof.
Interior: two-and-a-half bay nave has plain white painted walls and
pointed barrel-vaulted roof in timber, pointed double-chamfered
arcade. South aisle has lean-to roof with through purlins on kneed
principals. High chancel arch has double-cyma and hollow
moulding, probably the remains of a Medieval arch. Chancel has
polychrome tiled floor and timber pointed barrel-vaulted roof.
Pointed arch to organ chamber on south side, blind doorway and
trefoiled piscina have continuous string course carried over both.
Fittings: Original pews and octagonal stone font by Butterfield.
Beautifully coloured stained glass in east window by Gibbs.
Marble wall tablet on north wall of nave to Robert Grailly, died
1811. (N. Pevsner, Buildings of England: Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: SU1080629803
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.