Description: Borough Cross in Front of No 62 (The White Horse)
Date Listed: 23 March 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 319592
OS Grid Reference: SU1749021504
OS Grid Coordinates: 417490, 121504
Latitude/Longitude: 50.9927, -1.7522
DOWNTON THE BOROUGH
Borough Cross, in front of No 62
23/3/60 (The White Horse)
Borough cross. C14, restored 1787, 1897 and 1953. Limestone.
Three worn hexagonal steps up to square plinth with chamfered
corners, octagonal shaft with small cross. Latin inscription on
riser of middle step and inscription tablets on bottom step
commemorating restorations; 1897 repair paid for by Helen, Countess
of Radnor; 1953 restoration to celebrate the Coronation. Downton
was granted borough status and market charter by Peter des Roches,
bishop of Winchester c.1205. Very similar cross to that in the
churchyard (q.v.) Ancient Monument, Wiltshire, Number 294.
Listing NGR: SU1749021504
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.