Date Listed: 21 December 1979
English Heritage Building ID: 31963
OS Grid Reference: ST6615054397
OS Grid Coordinates: 366150, 154397
Latitude/Longitude: 51.2877, -2.4868
5120 NORTH ROAD
No 83 (Vicarage)
ST 6654 4/78
Dated 1844. Tudor style. Two and a half storeys limestone rubble with weathered
string over ground floor. Modern concrete tile roof in 2 ranges; coped verges,
2 with saddlestones. Crenellated octagonal chimneys on right hand gable end.
Two sets of diagonal chimney stacks. Tall central gabled break with narrow
attic light. On 1st floor 2 mullion and transom windows and 2 narrow ones
with dripmoulds and cast iron casements with diamond frames. Three carved
stones on 1st floor, circles and quadrilobe inscribed in a square, these are
part of a pierced C15 parapet formerly on the parish church (at Church Square).
Two windows on ground floor, left hand one with proper casements, right hand
one on slight corbelling. Central Tudor arch porch, ashlar faced with blind
tracery spandrels and drip; shield over inscribed A.D. MDCCCLIV. Gothic
panelling to door: 6 panels, upper 3 glazed with traceried heads, similar door
to rear. Two storey 2 window wing to left, whose east return has an excellent
reset shell hood of early C18 on carved brackets (or a very good copy).
Interior: plain stairs. Front parlour has Tudor Gothic marble fireplace (see
Holy Trinity Vicarage, Pow's Hill). 2
Listing NGR: ST6615054397
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.