Description: Witherington Farmhouse and Attached Cottage
Date Listed: 4 July 1985
English Heritage Building ID: 319692
OS Grid Reference: SU1817024815
OS Grid Coordinates: 418170, 124815
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0224, -1.7423
SU 12 SE
and attached cottage
Farmhouse. c1700. Flemish bond brick, with C18 addition in English
bond, tiled roofs, brick stacks. Late C18 cottage to rear is
Flemish bond brick. L-plan. 2-storey, 5-window front. Central 6-
panelled door has segmental head with keystone, and gabled porch,
to right are two 3-light and one single casement, to left are two
12-pane sashes and one single casement. First floor has 2-brick
plat band and five 2-light leaded casements. Two hipped dormers to
roof, saddleback coped verges. To right is C18 bay with one 3-
light casement, windowless right return and rear with casements.
Left return has 12-pane sash to ground and first floors. Rear of
main range has casements and tile-hung gabled extension. Rear
cottage has planked door in porch to north front and segmental-
headed casements to ground floor, first floor has four C19 2-light
casements. Attached to right of cottage front is one-bay workshop
in English bond with vitrified headers, planked door and casements.
Rear outshut to cottage.
Interior has pine fireplace with Ionic pilasters to south end,
chamfered beams and fireplace lintel to north end, panelled dado
and some reset partition panelling. Stairs have reused turned
balusters. Attic with planked doors with strap hinges. This house
mentioned in 1648 Parliamentary Survey; 3-bay timber-framed house,
prior to rebuilding in brick c1700.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury).
Listing NGR: SU1817024815
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.