Description: The Close
Date Listed: 18 February 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 319908
OS Grid Reference: SU2008938583
OS Grid Coordinates: 420089, 138583
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1462, -1.7142
SU 23 NW
4/10 The Close
House. Later C17 and c.1800. Flint and brick with tiled roof.
Two storeys and attics. Probably originally a central hall bay
with service room to left and cross parlour wing on right, outshut
added to centre c.1800 and front elevation rebuilt in 3 stages.
Entrance 6-panelled door, the upper panels glazed, under wood
Tuscan portico of c.1800. Various timber casement windows with
leaded glazing. Two dormers to front, one to rear. Roof hipped,
and swept down over outshut to rear.
Interior: Centre bay has double ovolo moulded spine beam, with
single ovolo beam to right bay, now kitchen, with added gable stack
of c.1800. Bar chamfer stops to left bay, formerly service room,
now drawing room. Stair in outshut has bulbous newels and shaped
balusters. Timber framed partitions to upper floor and C17 stair
to attic with wavy splat balusters. Double purlin roof, lower
butt, and upper clasped.
Listing NGR: SU2008938583
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.