Description: Bishop's Cottage
Date Listed: 29 May 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 319916
OS Grid Reference: SU2042139516
OS Grid Coordinates: 420421, 139516
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1545, -1.7094
ALLINGTON WYNDHAM LANE
SU 23 NW
4/18 Bishop's Cottage
Farmhouse now house. Late C18 on site of earlier building
destroyed by fire. Colourwashed flint with brick quoins and
banding on a brick sill. Thatched roof. Two storeys, 3 bays.
Central door replaced by window, all windows C19 paired casements
within segmental headed openings. Boarded door in lean-to on
left, enclosed in glass porch. Offsetting brick courses at eaves.
Gable stacks. Continuous lean-to at rear, formerly dairy, and
rear wing on left now containing kitchen.
Interior altered, original kitchen probably in left bay fireplace.
Spine beam to living room. Wattle and daub partitions on first
floor. Original stair was in outshut. Building was built by a
Richard Bishop, bricklayer, who acquired the site in 1789 and sold
the house in 1804.
Listing NGR: SU2042139516
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.