Description: Old Rectory
Date Listed: 10 January 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 319977
OS Grid Reference: SU1968437372
OS Grid Coordinates: 419684, 137372
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1353, -1.7200
IDMISTON PORTON ROAD
SU 13 NE
3/84 Old Rectory
GV II *
Parsonage, now house. Early and mid C17 for the Bowle family,
altered C18. Brick with diaper of flint in small panels. Tiled
roof. Two storeys, attics and cellar. Three bays, with 4-bay rear
wing and stair tower in re-entrant angle. Central entrance, a six-
panelled door, the upper panels glazed, within segmental canopy.
Moulded timber cross windows, probably C19-C20, two either side of
entrance, and 3-light timber windows to upper floor, all having
lead glazing. Upper openings have cambered heads, apparently
original. Offset cogged brick eaves. External stacks to gables
with two offsets and diagonal brick stacks above ridge. Single
gabled dormer over right bay. Earlier rear wing is of mixed brick
and flint. Various windows and central large transverse stack of 4
flues, the outermost only set diagonally. Stair tower gabled to
rear, and rear wing has central 1 bay secondary stair tower.
Interior: central hallway with dining room to left, C17 panelling
and 6 panelled C18 door. Drawing room to right with panelled door
in eared architrave and broken pediment over. Fireplace with egg
and dart surround and frieze garlanded between consoles with
moulded mantle shelf. C17 cornice. Fireplaces to first floor
rooms. C17 stair to attic level, rebuilt on ground floor.
Listing NGR: SU1968137371
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.