Description: Church of St Nicholas
Date Listed: 18 February 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 319982
OS Grid Reference: SU1902236500
OS Grid Coordinates: 419022, 136500
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1275, -1.7295
IDMISTON WINTERSLOW ROAD, Porton
SU 13 NE
3/90 Church of St Nicholas
Anglican parish church. 1876-7, by J.L. Pearson. Flint with
brick dressings. Tiled roofs. Nave, chancel with vestry at
right angles, south porch. Nave has 2-light Decorated style
windows, 3-light to east end of chancel. Short 3-light gable
window to vestry. Mid wall string, stepping up under east and
west windows. Gable crosses. Bellcote with double openings and
crocketed gable over west end of nave. Porch has open trussed
rafter roof. Boarded inner door.
Interior: nave of 3 bays, with tie beams and facetted barrel
vault. Walls rendered, with bowtell string at base of window
embrasures Wide chancel arch. Chancel has panelled vault.
Piscina on north wall, sedilia with nook shafts on south. Oak
reredos. Fittings: font. C15 and reset. Octagonal bowl with
trefoil headed panels, and varied fleurons below. Pulpit of oak
on stone base. Sanctuary rail an oak pole on iron supports.
Monuments: one wall tablet of 1840 by Soper of Sarum, and two C20
brasses. West window glass of 1893. C17 arm chair in sanctuary.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire)
Listing NGR: SU1902236500
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.