Description: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Date Listed: 29 May 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 320068
OS Grid Reference: SU1747434494
OS Grid Coordinates: 417474, 134494
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1095, -1.7518
WINTERBOURNE A338, Winterbourne Earls
SU 13 SE
6/179 Church of St Michael
and All Angels
Anglican parish church. 1867 by T.H. Wyatt, incorporating
fragments of earlier churches of Winterbourne Earls and Dauntsey.
Flint with limestone dressings and banding, tiled roof. Nave,
south aisle, chancel and south-west tower raised over porch. North
vestry. Nave has square headed 2-light. windows, but one 3-light
late C15 window with panelled head and quatrefoils in angles.
Three light west window. Aisle has similar but shorter 2-light
windows. Chancel has lancets, triple at east end, and south
priest's door. Tower at south west end of aisle, 3 stages with 2-
light bell openings of C14 type, crenellated parapet and corner
gargoyles, and central pinnacle to each face. Tiled pyramidal
roof. Built into walls are 3 early medieval cross slabs, 1 at east
end, 2 on tower. Mass dial on south-west tower buttress. Moulded
Bath stone door, and inner door to interior.
Interior: Nave of 4 bays, with 3-bay arcade to aisle. Arch braced
collar roof with exposed rafters, and large carved corbels. Wide
chancel arch, the chancel raised 3 steps and tiled, and trussed
rafter roof. No piscina, aumbrey or reredos. Fittings: Font,
?C12, a plain bowl on later octagonal pedestal. Pulpit, mid C17,
panelled, the upper panel and frieze carved, all on C19 pedestal.
Altar rails, painted timber arches.
Monuments: In chancel, north wall, part of floor slab remounted in
1952, allegedly Cardinal Walter Winterbourne, died 1304. A relief
figure arising, holding his heart. Nave, north wall, C17 aedicule,
painted and gilded limestone with marble columns and Purbeck slab
bearing gilded inscription. Broken scrolled pediment over and
coloured mantled arms. To John Nicholas, died 1662.
a) Shaped marble slab with white marble panel hung with drapery,
to Ann Elliott, died 1787, and
b) Aedicule, coloured marbles, with triangular pediment and putti
on apron, to Nicholas Elliott, died 1776, and Jane his widow.
In aisle: 6 wall tablets. From east:
a) White on black slate, by White of Bath, to William and
Elizabeth Dyke, died 1846.
b) Similar, to Dyke Skinner, died 1823.
c) Similar, to John Thomas Skinner, died 1826.
d) White marble on grey, with sculpted arms, to Skinner Dyke
Clarke, died 1826.
e) White shield on grey, by White, to Ann Heddon, died 1829, and
f) Tablet with cornice. Crest and arms against grey marble, by
Osmund of Sarum, to various members of Dyke family from 1745 to
g) Cushioned oval hung with leaves, by King of Bath to Thomas
Dyke, died 1805.
Furniture: Late C16-early C17 Communion table at west end of nave.
Brass: On wall, 1661, to Canon Matthew Nicholas. Two separate
mantled arms. In porch: An indented slab with quatrefoiled frieze
and panelled sides, the brass missing, a kneeling figure with
inscription and three separate coats of arms. Glass: Two C13
roundels mounted against north window, one a man and praying woman
at shrine, the second, angels raising a corpse. C19 coloured glass
in chancel lancets.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England: WILTSHIRE)
Listing NGR: SU1747434494
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.