Church of St Mary, Alvediston
Description: Church of St Mary
Date Listed: 6 January 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 320236
OS Grid Reference: ST9767823948
OS Grid Coordinates: 397678, 123948
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0149, -2.0345
Location: Alvediston, Wiltshire SP5 5LE
Incorrect location/postcode? Submit a correction!
ST 92 SE ALVEDISTON ALVEDISTON VILLAGE
6/10 Church of St. Mary
Anglican parish church. C17, restoration 1866 by T. H. Wyatt.
Dressed limestone, tiled roofs. Consists of nave, chancel, north
and south transepts, north organ chamber and west tower, south
porch. C19 lean-to porch with chamfered pointed doorway. C17
square-headed window over porch. South transept has diagonal
buttresses, 2-light Perpendicular-style window with foliated
terminals to hoodmould, coped verge, east side has C19 2-light
square-headed window. South side of chancel has lancet and C19
lean-to vestry with shouldered chamfered doorway and lancet. East
end has three stepped lancets with continuous hoodmould with
foliated terminals. North organ chamber has 3 lancets and a
trefoil. North transept has 3-light Perpendicular-style window
with hoodmould. North side of nave has 2-light C19 square-headed
window with hoodmould. All roof verges are coped, cross finials.
C17, 3-stage west tower has diagonal buttresses, hollow-chamfered
square-headed windows to second and third stages of north side,
west side has 2-light C19 pointed window to first stage, single
square-headed window to second stage and 2-light round-arched
window to bell-stage, south side has similar windows and three-
sided stair turret, battlemented parapet with pinnacles.
Interior: Chamfered pointed doorway with ornamented C19 door.
Four-bay nave has arch-braced collar truss roof, stone floors.
Double-chamfered arch on tassel-carved corbels to tower, chamfered
Tudor-arched doorway to tower stairs, C12 font bowl on cylindrical
base at base of tower. C19 round-arch on half-shafts to north
transept, pointed arch with continuous moulding to south transept,
both transepts with exposed wagon roofs. Restored hollow and
double-ogee chamfered chancel arch on C19 foliated corbels. 3-bay
arch-braced collar chancel roof, polychrome tiled floor, pointed
door to vestry and lancet to right, now on interior wall. C19
piscina on north wall. Open traceried wooden partition between
north-east chapel and chancel. 1860's pews, pulpit, choir stalls.
Good unsigned glass of 1881 in west window. A good collection of
C17 and C18 wall tablets in south transept; slate and marble
tablet with Ionic columns, open segmental pediment and fine
lettering to John Wyndham of Norrington (q.v.), died 1668, marble
with composite pilasters, broken segmental pediment and cupids to
Mrs. Wadham Wyndham died 1704, marble with urn and rococo cartouche
to John Wyndham died 1724, but by Rysbrack 1746. In north
transept a marble with shafts by F. Brown of Salisbury to Thomas
King, died 1787, of Samways (q.v.). Recumbent late C14 knight,
possibly John Gawen, with angels and dog in niche in wall of south
transept. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Wiltshire,
Listing NGR: ST9767823948
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.