Description: Church of St Edward
Date Listed: 6 January 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 320415
OS Grid Reference: ST9891632368
OS Grid Coordinates: 398916, 132368
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0906, -2.0168
ST 93 SE TEFFONT WYLYE ROAD
1/189 Church of St. Edward
Formerly lisated as Chapel Church)
Anglican parish church. C13 and C14. Rubble stone with dressed
limestone, tiled roof with stone slates to eaves. Consists of nave
and chancel under one roof, south porch. C14 gabled south porch
has double chamfered pointed doorway, coped verges. Nave to left
side has pair of lancets, to right are two pairs of lancets. East
end has diagonal buttresses and group of three stepped cusped
lancets. North side has pair of lancets either side of blocked
pointed doorway. West end has diagonal buttresses and double
bell-niche with arched heads.
Interior: porch has original arch-braced collar-rafter roof,
pointed inner doorway with ovolo-moulded arch, 4-bay nave roof has
tie-beam and collar trusses with chamfered tie-beams and braced
collars. Flagstone floors throughout. Blocked north doorway
opposite south door with same ovolo-moulded arch. Early C16 wooden
traceried chancel screen, one-bay chancel has plastered pointed
barrel-vaulted ceiling. Pointed piscina on south wall with ovolo-
moulded arch. C19 wooden pulpit and reading desk in C16 style.
C12 cylindrical font on octagonal plinth, on north side of nave.
C19 pews. To left of south door is reset fragment of Saxon cross
with fine interlaced carving. Limestone Gothic-style wall tablet
in chancel to William Lush of Deptford, died 1836; inscription
records a charitable endowment of £50 for blankets for the poor.
Church was a chapel of ease to Dinton until 1922 when it became a
chapelry to Teffont Evias. Fine example of a simple, little-
restored village church. (VCH, Wiltshire Vol 8, 1965.)
Listing NGR: ST9891632368
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.