Description: The Old Rectory
Date Listed: 23 March 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 320449
OS Grid Reference: SU0810235506
OS Grid Coordinates: 408102, 135506
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1188, -1.8856
GREAT WISHFORD SOUTH STREET
SU 03 NE
3/14 The Old Rectory
(formerly listed as Rectory
together with barn, since
Rectory, now private house. Late C17, altered mid C18 and mid C19.
English bond brick with stone quoins, tiled roof, gable end brick
stacks. 'L'-plan. Two-storey and attic, 5-window; sashes.
Chequered flint and stone plinth. Central half glazed latticed and
margin-pane door in panelled reveals with pilastered surround, two
12-pane flush sashes either side have wedge lintels with keystone.
First floor has five 4-pane sashes. Coped verges to roof with
three flat-headed dormers with C20 casements. Attached to right is
flint and stone single-storey extension with casements and hipped
tiled roof. Right return has 4-light recessed chamfered mullioned
casements to ground and first floor, C20 door. Left return wall of
chequered flint and stone has 4-pane sash to first floor. Mid C19
rear wing has 4-pane and 8-pane sashes and half-octagonal 2-storey
Flemish bond brick bay to gable end with 4-pane sashes and French
windows with blind boxes. Rear parallel range to left has three 2-
light recessed chamfered mullioned casements to ground floor, 6-
panelled door and C20 tile-hung first floor addition to former
outshut with 2-light casements, C19 arched stair window with
lattice and margin-pane glazing.
Interior has 6-panelled doors in moulded architraves with rosettes,
mid C19 stairs with stick balusters and continuous moulded and
wreathed handrail, doors with 6 fielded panels, plaster ceiling
cornices and round-arched opening in entrance hall, chamfered beams
to rear. Ceased to be used as the rectory during 1970s.
Listing NGR: SU0810235506
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.