Description: Church of St Martin
Date Listed: 23 March 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 320611
OS Grid Reference: SU0565331388
OS Grid Coordinates: 405653, 131388
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0818, -1.9207
SU 03 SE BARFORD ST MARTIN WEST STREET
Church of St Martin
Anglican parish church. C13, C15, restoration and rebuilding of
north transept 1841. Rubble stone and dressed limestone, Welsh
slate roof. Aisle-less cruciform church with west entrance.
Tudor-arched chamfered west doorway with ribbed door, 3-light
square-headed window with pointed lights and hoodmould over with
C18 and C19 tablets to Crouch family either side, stepped parapet
to gable. South side of nave has three 2-light square-headed
windows with cusped pointed lights and hoodmoulds with one 2-Light
to right, buttresses and parapet with saddleback coping.
Octagonal stair turret in angle between nave and south transept has
Tudor-arched doorway and attached square ashlar stack with moulded
capping. South transept has 3-light pointed Perpendicular window,
2-light cusped square-headed window to east side, heavy cyma-
moulded plinth. Chancel has two pairs of lancets to south and
north sides, east end has diagonal buttresses and three stepped
lancets with relieving arch. North transept of 1841 has Tudor-
arched doorway and lancet on east side, to integral vestry, 3-light
Perpendicular-style north window. North side of nave has three
square-headed windows with cusped lights, battlemented parapet.
Two-stage crossing tower has buttresses with offsets, round gilded
clockfaces on north and east sides, offset bellstage has 2-light
pointed Perpendicular windows with louvres, cavetto-moulded cornice
to battlemented parapet with gargoyles.
Interior: C20 vestibule at west end of nave, with 6-bay C16 king-
post roof; moulded soffits and short curved braces to C19 stone
corbels. Narrowness of nave and height of window sills suggests
an early medieval structure. C13 crossing rebuilt C15 with hollow
and cyma-moulded piers, tierceron vault on octagonal shafts with
rosette and zoomorphic bosses and central circle for bells. South
transept has arch-braced collar-rafter roof, chamfered pointed
piscina on south wall and squint to chancel. North transept has
plastered Tudor-arched barrel-vaulted ceiling, north part forms
vestry, benefactions board on west wall records 1841 rebuilding and
provision of nave pews. Chancel has 3-bay collar-truss roof, good
C17 wainscot panelling with rosette frieze and C17 choir stalls,
C19 encaustic tiled floor. Fine C17 chip-carved wooden altar with
matching reredos, possibly re-using panels. Font at west end;
C19 bowl. Relief-carved Royal Arms on east wall of nave. 1920s
Gothic-style stained glass.
Monuments: good brass in south transept to Alis Walker died 1584.
Stone panel in chancel with relief figure of woman with basket of
loaves, restored niche on south wall contains late Medieval painted
effigy of woman with Latin inscription. Collection of C18 and C19
wall tablets includes grey marble tablet in chancel to Petri
Hersent (sic) died 1759.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: SU0565031388
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.