Description: Ugford Old Farmhouse
Date Listed: 17 December 1986
English Heritage Building ID: 320705
OS Grid Reference: SU0846431222
OS Grid Coordinates: 408464, 131222
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0803, -1.8805
SU 03 SE BURCOMBE WITHOUT UGFORD
2/119 Ugford Old Farmhouse
Shown on OS Map as Ugford Cottage.
Farmhouse, now detached house. C16 and C17, restored 1970.
Square-panelled timber-framing, part rebuilt in stone and flint
chequers or brick and rubble stone, thatched roof with gable end
brick stacks. Gable end to road, through passage away from
stacks, 4-bay cruck-built. Single-storey and attic, 4 windows.
Planked door to left of centre in thatched porch, 2-light and 3-
light casement to left, three 3-light casements to right. Four
eyebrow dormers to attic with 2-light casements. Attached to
right is cob outhouse with planked door, right return with leaded
fixed window. Left return rebuilt in stretcher bond brick, c1970,
external stack. Rear has French windows, planked door, 3-light
casements and lean-to extension, first floor has 2-light casements
to eyebrow dormers to left of central half-hipped gable with two 2-
Interior has chamfered beam with stepped stops and open fireplace
with chamfered lintel in north room, round-arched door with
keystone and dentil cornice to right of fireplace, moved from Left
hand, reset panelling from The Crown Inn in Salisbury. Timber-
framed internal partitions, south room has deeply chamfered beam
with stepped stops. Crucks, formerly full and now raised, are
exposed in attic, some curved windbracing retained. Property of
Wilton Estate until 1960s, occupied by the Coward family from C17;
Woolston Coward was Mayor of Salisbury 1626.
Listing NGR: SU0846431222
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.