Description: Little Clarendon
Date Listed: 23 March 1960
English Heritage Building ID: 320736
OS Grid Reference: SU0147431568
OS Grid Coordinates: 401474, 131568
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0834, -1.9803
SU 03 SW DINTON HINDON ROAD
Detached house. Late C16, altered C17 and restored early C20 by
George Engleheart. Rubble stone, tiled roof with hip to left and
diagonally-set stone stacks. Former hall house with cross wing.
Two-storey and attic, 4-window front. Two-storey gabled porch to
left of centre has Tudor-arched doorway and pointed moulded inner
doorway, single lights to side walls, upper floor has 2-light
ovolo-mullioned casement and square sundial, ground floor to left
has 3-light ovolo-mullioned casement with hoodmould, 4-light to
right with hoodmould. First floor has raised eaves in stone with
3-light mullioned casement with hoodmoulds. Cross wing to right
has 2-light mullioned casement facing west, front has 4-light
mullioned casements to ground and first floors, 3-light mullioned
casement to attic and blocked light over. Left return has 4-light
ovolo-mullioned casement to ground and first floors, single-storey
wing to rear has leaded casement and 2-light mullioned casement,
1920s attic dormer with leaded casements. Rear of east wing has 2-
light ovolo-mullioned casements with hoodmoulds to three floors and
square stair turret with 2-light mullioned casements and gabled
roof attached to west side, rear of main range has Tudor-arched
doorway and 4-light mullioned casement to hall, 3-light to first
floor. Single-storey wing to west, rebuilt 1920s with chamfered
mullioned casements and hipped dormers to attic, leaded casements
to north gable.
Interior: Entry from porch into hall; deep chamfered beam with
stepped stops, Tudor-arched stone fireplace, wainscot panelled
dado. Good wain-scot door to dining room has arabesque-carved
frieze to architrave. East room has moulded cross beams and Tudor-
arched stone fireplace, north east study in wing has deep chamfered
beam, newel stairs with chamfered square newel in turret. First
floor has Tudor-arched stone fireplaces in bedrooms, doors with 4
or 6 fielded panels, good wainscot panelled door to attic with
rosette frieze, 4-bay collar roof over main range, probably Cl7. A
C16 house, probably altered including raised eaves, in late C17.
House acquired by Henry Hayter, formerly at Clarendon Park in 1697.
George Engleheart was a daffodil grower who bought the house 1901
and developed new types of bulb whilst at Little Clarendon.
(Country Life, 17 December 1943)
Listing NGR: SU0147431568
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.