Description: Beauchamp House
Date Listed: 6 July 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 320795
OS Grid Reference: ST9125725282
OS Grid Coordinates: 391257, 125282
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0268, -2.1260
DONHEAD ST. ANDREW ST. BARTHOLOMEWS STREET
ST 92 NW (east side)
4/12 Beauchamp House
Wrongly shown on O.S. map as Hill House.
Rectory, now private house. 1892 by C.E. Ponting, paid for by H.
Chapman of Donhead House (q.v.). Flemish bond brick with
limestone dressings, tiled hipped roof, brick stacks with stone
cappings. Two-storey, 5-window entrance front. Gabled porch
with round-arched opening and coped verge with kneelers, 4-light
mullioned and transomed window to right, single and 2-light
mullioned casements to left. First floor with string course, two
2-light, 3-light mullioned casements and single chamfered light
with gabled projection to left with 5-light mullioned casements.
Segmental-headed dormer to attic. Right return has 2-storey
polygonal bay with mullioned and transomed casements to left, 3-
light mullioned and transomed casement to right with 2-light to
first floor, segmental-headed attic dormer. Rear has half-glazed
door with large stone shell hood, large square bay to left and
various mullioned casements with large 6-light mullioned and
transomed casement lighting stairs, three gabled dormers with 3-
light mullioned casements. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Interior retains original joinery; 4-panelled doors in moulded
architraves, eared architraves to ground floor, good stairs with
splat balusters and square newels. Occupies a prominent position
overlooking the Nadder Valley. Ceased to be the rectory during
Listing NGR: ST9125725282
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.