Description: 46, 47, 48 and 49, Salisbury Road
Date Listed: 6 July 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 320872
OS Grid Reference: ST9359632971
OS Grid Coordinates: 393596, 132971
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0960, -2.0928
FONTHILL BISHOP SALISBURY ROAD,
ST 93 SW (south side), Bishop's Fonthill
1/85 Nos 46, 47, 48 and 49
Group of four estate cottages. 1864 for Alfred Morrison of
Fonthill Estate. Limestone ashlar, tiled roof, brick stacks.
Gable end to road. Planked door to left in 2-storey open porch on
three chamfered stone piers, 2-light and 4-light chamfered
mullioned casements, planked door in lean-to porch and 4-light
mullioned casement either side of through entry with timber lintel
on stone corbels, to right is lean-to porch with door to No 49.
First floor has 4-light mullioned casement to porch to left and 3-
light mullioned casement to right, centre cottage has attic gable
with 2-light and 3-light mullioned casement, hipped dormer with 3-
light mullioned casement over entry and 4-light mullioned casement
to cross wing to right. Left return has 4-light mullioned casement
and single casement to ground floor, recessed oval stone tablet
with date 1864 and intertwined initials AM, single casement to
first floor, 2-light to attic. Brick stacks are square or
diagonally-set on stone plinths. Rear has projecting wings with
mullioned casements, planked doors and some C20 steel casements.
Interiors have C19 joinery. Included as a good, early example of
Vernacular Revival in estate building.
Listing NGR: ST9359632971
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.