Description: Tithe Barn at Place Farm
Date Listed: 6 January 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 321001
OS Grid Reference: ST9517729840
OS Grid Coordinates: 395177, 129840
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0679, -2.0702
There is also a scheduled monument, Tithe barn and gatehouse at Place Farm, at the same location as this building or very close to it. This may be related in some way or possibly a different name for the same structure.
TISBURY COURT STREET
ST 92 NE (north side)
5/212 Tithe Barn at Place Farm
Tithe barn to monastic grange. C15. Rubble stone and dressed
limestone, thatched roof, formerly stone slates, with coped verges
and staddlestones. Thirteen bays. Central opposing gabled
porches with angle buttresses and double chamfered pointed
doorways, planked doors, coped verge with finial, west side has C19
Tudor-arched double planked doors either side, north side has
square-headed planked doors either side of central porch, either
side of porches are 6 buttresses with offsets and 5 tall arrow loop
vents. South and north gables have central buttress with arrow
loops either side and above.
Interior has 13 bays with raised cruck trusses, each with arch-
braced collar and upper collar, some are cranked, braced saddle to
apex. Three tiers of through purlins, some straight windbracing
retained. Reputedly the largest tithe barn in England, though not
the longest. Together with the farmhouse and gatehouses (q.v.),
this barn is part of one of the finest surviving groups of monastic
grange buildings in England. Owned by the Abbess of Shaftesbury
until the Dissolution. Ancient Monument, Wiltshire, No 242.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Country
Life, 10 May 1919)
Listing NGR: ST9517329851
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.