Description: Zion Hill Chapel
Date Listed: 6 July 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 321006
OS Grid Reference: ST9474729683
OS Grid Coordinates: 394747, 129683
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0665, -2.0763
TISBURY CUFF'S LANE
ST 92 NW (north side)
4/217 Zion Hill Chapel
Congregational chapel, now redundant. 1842. Limestone ashlar
with Welsh slate roof. Early C13 style, consists of nave with
gallery over entrance at south end. Gabled south front with
central gabled porch with stepped coping and octagonal pinnacles,
double pointed planked doors with quatrefoil over, 2-light plate
tracery window either side to porch, 2-light plate tracery windows
to ground floor and to gallery with 3 stepped lancets to centre of
first floor, quatrefoil over, stepped coped verge with pilasters
carried up to octagonal corner pinnacles. Left and right returns
have two pairs of lancets with hoodmoulds and buttresses between.
North end has gabled vestry with pair of lancets either side and
three stepped lancets over, corner pilasters carried up to
pinnacles on stepped verge of gable.
Interior has gallery with panelled front, on two cast-iron columns,
reredos and reading desk retained at north end, all pews removed.
Entrance vestibule has pair of stone staircases with cast-iron
handrails to gallery, flanking pointed double doors to nave.
Occupies a prominent hill site overlooking the Nadder Valley.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST9474729683
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.