Description: Church of All Saints
Date Listed: 9 September 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 321107
OS Grid Reference: ST9123834533
OS Grid Coordinates: 391238, 134533
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1100, -2.1265
ST 93 SW
9/1 Church of All Saints
Anglican parish church. 1832, on site of Medieval church.
Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate roof with coped verges. Nave and
chancel under one roof, west entrance and bellcote. Gabled west
porch with pointed doorway and C15 style window to sides, rendered
gable with shaped bargeboards. Plain ashlar west end with slightly
projecting bell tower with offset square bell turret with pointed
louvre hipped lead roof with ball finial, buttresses with offsets
to corners. South side has three bays of pointed C15-style windows
with buttresses between. No east window, but relief carved cross
with quatrefoil over, reset memorial tablet with consoles and
broken pediment to Margaret Sympson died 1685. North side has no
windows, but buttresses, reset memorial tablet with semi-circular
shaped top to John Barron died 1685.
Interior: One-space divided by open traceried chancel screen, two
steps up to chancel. Rib-panelled wooden ceiling. Chancel has
piscina set in south west window sill with carved wooden pieta
over, possibly pre-Reformation, painted Crucifixion on panelled
reredos is copy of one by Perugino and executed by Miss Ella Jacob
of Salisbury. Nave and chancel furniture all C19, some pieces in
chancel with initials AM, given by Alfred Morrison of Fonthill.
Plain C12 stone font bowl. Monuments include a brass set in stone
with semi-circular head to Richard Randall died 1745, classical
marble by Reeves to Ellen Frowde died 1830.
N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; Survey of
Countryside Treasures, 1969.
Listing NGR: ST9123834533
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.