Description: Church of St Peter
Date Listed: 6 January 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 321123
OS Grid Reference: ST8887735811
OS Grid Coordinates: 388877, 135811
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1215, -2.1603
EAST KNOYLE HIGHER PERTWOOD
ST 83 NE
5/17 Church of St Peter
Anglican parish church, now closed. C13, restored 1812, rebuilt
1872. Flint rubble stone with limestone dressings, tiled with
fishscale tile bands and coped verges. Nave and chancel under one
roof, north aisle, south porch, west bellcote. Gabled south porch,
partly timber-framed, nave and chancel to right have three 2-light
pointed windows with cusped lights, buttresses with offsets. East
end has 2-light C19 window in geometric style, set back buttresses,
coped verge with cross finial. North side of chancel and north
aisle of 1872 completely ivy-covered at time of survey (August
1986) and no details visible. West end has gabled bellcote.
Interior not accessible at time of survey; photographs in NMR.
C19 roof trusses to 2-bay chancel and 2-bay nave, continuously
chamfered chancel arch, 2-bay C13-style north arcade. Some
fittings removed, but said to retain pews and wall tablets to
Sheldon family, floor tablets to Mervyn family. C14 piscina with
moulded pointed arch with hoodmould with mask terminal to right.
Chapel probably here from C12, annexed as a chapel of ease to
Chicklade in 1899. In very poor condition at time of survey; part
of roof fallen in.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975; VCH,
Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965; NMR photographic collection)
Listing NGR: ST8887735811
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.