Description: The Old Dower House
Date Listed: 6 January 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 321199
OS Grid Reference: ST8021738709
OS Grid Coordinates: 380217, 138709
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1473, -2.2842
MAIDEN BRADLEY CHURCH STREET
ST 83 NW
4/93 The Old Dower House
(formerly listed as
6.1.66 Seymour House)
Detached house. Early C19. Stucco, hipped Welsh slate roof with
brick stacks. Two-storey, 3-window front. Central door with 4
round-arched panels, semi-circular fanlight in panelled reveals,
flanked by Ionic pilasters from removed portico, centre bay
projects slightly, flanking 12-pane sashes with margin-panes.
First floor has three 12-pane margin-pane sashes. Left return has
bay with French windows, C19 conservatory to left, 12-pane sashes
to first floor. Right return has 3-light leaded casement, 30-pane
sash and planked door, to services. Rear wing on south side is
original; 20-pane and 16-pane sashes, wing to north is later C19
addition with 12-pane sashes.
Interior has original features; open stair hall with stick
balusters and continuous wreathed handrail. Various doors; 8-
panelled ground floor doors probably brought here from Bradley
House. Drawing room with grey marble fireplace, late C19
Elizabethan-style fireplace and plaster frieze in dining room.
Listing NGR: ST8021738709
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.