Description: Small Farmbuilding at Right Angles to Cowshed at Priory Farm
Date Listed: 6 January 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 321208
OS Grid Reference: ST7993740320
OS Grid Coordinates: 379937, 140320
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1618, -2.2883
MAIDEN BRADLEY MILL LANE
ST 74 SE
1/102 Small farmbuilding at right angles
to cowshed at Priory Farm (formerly
6.1.66 listed as Remains of Augustinian
Small monastic domestic building, now disused farmbuilding.
Probably C15. Rubble stone, corrugated asbestos roof, formerly
thatched, removed north stack. Two-storey, 1-window west front.
Tudor-arched stone doorway with rebate to right, giving access to
internal stairs, former 2-light chamfered mullioned window to left,
with inserted C19 window. First floor has chamfered open window to
left. Left return has planked stable door with segmental head to
right, blocked 2-light mullioned window to first floor. Rear is
windowless. Right return has blocked arched opening to ground
Interior of ground floor has very deep chamfered beam to ceiling
and first floor. Winding stone stairs from outside to first floor;
no internal access between floors. First floor has stone square-
headed fireplace, C20 roof. One of two surviving domestic monastic
buildings from the Priory founded here in 1190, a leper hospital
was on this site during the C12.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Wiltshire, 1975)
Listing NGR: ST7993740320
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.