Description: South Range of Workshops on South Side of Stable Yard
Date Listed: 9 September 1987
English Heritage Building ID: 321267
OS Grid Reference: ST7779834185
OS Grid Coordinates: 377798, 134185
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1065, -2.3185
STOURTON WITH GASPER STOURHEAD PARK
ST 73 SE
6/161 South range of workshops on south
side of Stable Yard
Barn, stables and tackroom, now workshops and accommodation. Late
C18, remodelled early 1900s. Rubble stone and dressed limestone,
tiled roofs with bands of fishscale tiles. Former barn to west
end of range has double doors and lunette to left, 3 lunettes to
right, short wing projecting to right has planked stable door and
lunette. Lower range to left with planked doors and casements and
throughway to yard beyond. South side of barn is brick and
windowless, workshops to right have lunettes and oculus, Tudor-
arched doorway to passage, 2 gabled attic dormers.
Interiors have early C20 roofs, evidence of earlier phases of use
in truncated stacks and various blocked or inserted openings.
This range, together with other buildings in the stable yard, was
probably part of a C18 farm group - subsequently converted to
stabling and carriage houses for Stourhead House.
Listing NGR: ST7779834185
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.