Description: Chafyn Grove Cottages
Date Listed: 6 January 1966
English Heritage Building ID: 321305
OS Grid Reference: ST7825231910
OS Grid Coordinates: 378252, 131910
Latitude/Longitude: 51.0861, -2.3119
ZEALS NEW ROAD
ST 73 SE
6/199 NOs 1, 2, 3 and 4 Chafyn-Grove
Cottages and Parish Hall (formerly
6.1.66 listed as The Almshouses and
Almhouses and parish hall. 1865, provided by William Chafyn-Grove
of Zeals House (q.v.). 1888 village hall. Flemish bond brick on
rubble stone plinth, diaper work in vitrified headers, tiled roof
with coped verges and diagonally-set brick stacks. C17-style.
Asymmetric plan. Two-storey, 3-window. Main range has moulded
doorway to left of centre to recessed porch, 4-light ovolo-
mullioned casement with hoodmould either side and 3-light ovolo-
mullioned casement with hoodmould to right, first floor has three
3-light ovolo-mullioned casements, inscription tablet recording
foundation in 1865, in memory of William Chafyn-Grove's mother,
over centre window; gable over with coped verge. To left is
single-storey range with gabled porch with arched doorway, 4-light
ovolo-mullioned casement and a second arched doorway to left.
Attached to right is single-storey wing projecting to front with
Tudor-arched doorway in gabled porch, 3-light mullioned casement to
gable end, large external stack to right return. Rear lean-to with
mullioned casements, single storey range has large stack to rear.
Village hall attached to left of former schoolroom is gable end to
road with 4-light mullioned casement, 1888 datestone and coped
verge to gable end, three 3-light ovolo-mullioned casements to
south side, C20 porch attached to left.
Interior retains C19 joinery, No. 1 has serpentine splat balusters,
similar to those in C19 wing of Zeals House (q.v.). Possible
evidence of a C17 building here; some earlier brickwork on stacks
and north wing, the base of walls are partly rubble stone.
Listing NGR: ST7825231910
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.