Description: Church of St Leonard
Date Listed: 18 December 1958
English Heritage Building ID: 321398
OS Grid Reference: SU1658043721
OS Grid Coordinates: 416580, 143721
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1925, -1.7641
BULFORD HIGH STREET
SU 14 SE
6/87 Church of St Leonard
Anglican parish church. Late C12, C13, altered C14 and C16, and
chapel added early C19. Roughcast on mixed Chilmark and Tisbury
stone. Tower of flint and stone. Tiled roofs. Late C12 nave and
chancel, tower central to south side of nave added probably in C13.
Chapel forms north wing, and C20 amenities added to gable end.
Nave has one 2-light C14 window and a rectangular C16 light in
earlier opening. Blocked north door. Chancel has late C12 corbel
table and single ogee-headed windows, a lancet and 2-light window
on north. C15 three-light east window, the tracery renewed.
Three-light west window. Short and massive tower with large south
buttresses. Lancet window on west and 2 bell opening. Pyramidal
tiled roof. East and west sides partly rebuilt, probably in C18.
Entrance in south side of tower, C14 jambs with C16 moulded semi-
circular arch with keystone. Inner door to nave early C13, with
bowtell arch and nookshafts with stiff-leaf foliage.
Interior: Nave plastered, and flagged floor. C12 embrasure to
north window, C13 embrasures to all south windows. Small C12
chancel arch with ovolo moulding to arrises, the hoodmoulding cut
away. Cinquefoil headed shallow altar niche to right and
triangular headed inner arch to blocked north door. Roof of 4 bays
with half bays at ends, probably C15. Tie-beams, queen struts to
principal rafters and high collars. Rafters and ashlars exposed.
Corbels for earlier roof on north side. Blocked opening, perhaps
to former parvise in tower. Large pointed arch to north chapel,
called Camilla Hall. Chancel has three C12 round-headed splayed
window embrasures and jamb of contemporary east window. North east
window probably altered post-Reformation. East window has panelled
reveals with ogee-headed niches for figures. Trefoiled piscina.
Mid C15 roof of 3 bays; moulded ties, raking struts, single
purlins and rafters, and moulded wall plates. Hammer beams against
east wall. Blocked squint. Camilla Hall is plastered with flat
ceiling. Pointed headed single light window, 3 to each side.
Gallery at north end with panelled front, now built in to later
screen and cupboards. Door in gable end leads to kitchen and WCs
of c1984. Wall paintings: Extensive but poorly preserved C15
paintings on north, east and west walls of nave, including a St
Christopher, the east wall overpainted with 3 large panels with
Commandments. Red colour on chancel arch. Masonry lining painted
on south chancel wall, overpainted with C16-C17 texts. Fittings:
Font, at west end of nave, a plain square, raised on C19 columns.
Late C17-early C18 fielded panelled over with shaped brackets to
centre post. Pulpit at present in Hall. Chancel has fine C17
communion rail with shaped splat balusters. Furniture: A late C17
altar table with doubled stretchers and turned legs. Monuments:
In chancel, 4 wall tablets: (a) White marble on grey, drapery and
cornice over, and painted arms, to Elizabeth Southby, died 1791.
(b) Black panel with white marble scroll, by Underwood, to Anthony
Southby, died 1883. (c) White marble tablet by Osmund, to Mary
Shaw (Southby) killed in boat massacre at Cawnpore, 1857. Husband
added. (d) Gothic arched tablet in limestone, to Edmund Southby,
died 1886. In nave, 3 monuments; (a) Wall tablet, white marble,
to Luis Sturgess, died 1912, (b) Coloured limestone tablet to
Brigadier General Carey, died 1944, and (c) White tablet on
streaked grey marble by Sarum Monument Co., to Charles Hodges, died
1918. In Camilla Hall; Grey and white marble tablet. Flanking
columns, urn in pediment. To Matthew Devenish, founder of local
non-conformist chapel, died 1811, and wife and daughter. Brass:
In chancel, a small inscription to Thomas (D)aniell, died 1589, and
various C20 brasses. Royal Arms: Over south door, a fine
statutory framed royal arms on board, dated 1666, Fear God, Honour
the King. Hatchments: Five hatchments (1) Richard Southby, died
1791, (2) Ann, widow of last, died 1795. (3) Mary Southby, (?)
died 1835, (4) Richard Southby, died 1791, and (5) Charity Pollen
(Southby) died 1830. Miscellanea: In glass case, a Book of Common
Prayer, 1613, a Metrical Psalms of 1615, and a Geneva 'Breeches'
Bible, printed by Robert Barket, royal printer, 1610, all bound.
(Churches of South East Wiltshire. RCHM. 1987)
Listing NGR: SU1658043732
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.