Description: The Court House
Date Listed: 10 January 1953
English Heritage Building ID: 321568
OS Grid Reference: SU1262135318
OS Grid Coordinates: 412621, 135318
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1170, -1.8211
WOODFORD LOWER WOODFORD
SU 13 NW
8/253 The Court House
House. C15-C16 and c1840, on site of Manor of the Bishops of
Salisbury. Rendered brick with slate roof, extended to north with
flint and brick chequerwork on one bay, separately roofed. Two
storeys, main block of 4 bays c1840 added to parallel earlier block
built probably after demolition of manor between 1535-1539. Front
block has shaped gable over two central bays, disguising chimneys.
Entrance in second bay, a 6-panelled door in porch formed of
rusticated stone gate piers and semi-circular canopy with stepped
keyblock. Twelve-paned sashes, but tripartite to first bay on both
floors. Rear elevation symmetrical, C18, of 5 bays with central
raised entrance and 12-paned sash windows. Tiled roof.
Internally, earlier work now largely hidden, but cusped blind
trefoiled arch of medieval date and rose boss reset in walls.
Drawing room has eared architrave to fireplace and mid C18 cornice.
Listing NGR: SU1262135318
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.