Description: Orchard End House and Attached Cob Walls
Date Listed: 22 January 1990
English Heritage Building ID: 321606
OS Grid Reference: SU1682043739
OS Grid Coordinates: 416820, 143739
Latitude/Longitude: 51.1926, -1.7607
The following building shall be added to the list:-
BULFORD ORCHARD END
SU 14 SE
6/276 Orchard End House and
attached cob walls
House, former vicarage until 1891 (q.v. item 6/95). C17 and circa 1820.
Timber-framed north-west wing rendered and colourwashed, south wing largely
rebuilt in flint with freestone quoins. Letter - L plan house of 2 storeys.
Half hipped slate roofs. South front of 3 bays with box sashes. Centre 6-panel
door with reeded surround and paterae, wide cornice hood on modillion brackets.
Left hand brick stack. Side elevations of flint with attic sashes. North-west
of rear wing has gable elevations to Nine Mile River with similar box sashes to
each storey. Single storey infill. Interior has deep chamfer cross beams, a
chinoiserie staircase balustrade and early 19th century joinery. Attached to
south-west and north-east angles are high cob walls on flint plinths with
pantile copings, and about 12' high.
Listing NGR: SU1682043739
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.