Description: Parish Church of St Swithun's
Date Listed: 1 February 1956
English Heritage Building ID: 32213
OS Grid Reference: ST7880566615
OS Grid Coordinates: 378805, 166615
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3982, -2.3060
ST 7866-7966 BATHFORD C.P. CHURCH STREET
1.2.56 Parish Church of St.
Parish Church of St. Swithun's. Romanesque origins: restored by F. Preedy of
London and Worcester; West tower (1879-80); north aisle and porch 1856; south
aisle and nave 1870-72; chancel, north and south chancel chapels. Coursed,
squared rubble with freestone dressings; slate roof. West tower: 3 stages,
pierced parapet with finials, angle buttresses, 2-light lancet openings to bell
chamber. Aisles: panelled bracery with foiled heads. 3-bay nave with Early
English style arcades. 2 bay chancel. Font: C13th, octagonal with scalloped
underside. Pulpit: Jacobean, finely carved with Biblical text on frieze,
raised on stone base by Preedy (1870). Monuments: 2 lettered tablets in north
wall of chancel; Philip Ellis 1661; Thomas Hendy 1676; south wall Marie Herd
1674. Elizabeth Phillips, 1759 by John Ford of Bath.
Listing NGR: ST7880566615
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.