Description: Section of Churchyard Wall at East End of Churchyard of St Swithun's with Built in Fragments and Two
Date Listed: 19 October 1983
English Heritage Building ID: 32220
OS Grid Reference: ST7890466572
OS Grid Coordinates: 378904, 166572
Latitude/Longitude: 51.3978, -2.3046
ST 7866-7966 BATHFORD C.P. CHURCH STREET
Section of churchyard wall
G.V. at east end of churchyard
of St. Swithun's with built-
in fragments and two seats.
Churchyard wall, including fragments of Romanesque carving and 2 ashlar seats.
The wall is circa 1870 but the fragments are C12th and were found when the old
chancel arch was demolished in 1870. Rubble walls; ashlar seats and hoods;
freestone carving. To left 2 plain ashlar seats, in recesses and under stone
hoods on brackets. To right: a shallow, plain piscina with a segmental head.
Under a flat stone hood on brackets are the Romanesque fragments; consisting of
a much mutilated figure of an ?angel (or possibly a bishop - Swithin) flanked by
2 engaged columns with Chevron and bead decoration and coarse cushion-type
capitals; fragments of a decorated round arch with dogtooth moulding.
Listing NGR: ST7890466572
Source: English Heritage
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.